Monday, November 14, 2011

Volcano Pacaya


Volcano Agua from the other side

Since we have gotten here I have been itching to climb one of the many volcanoes surrounding Antigua.  I had my heart set on Volcano Agua which is the large inactive volcano at the southern base of Antigua.  However, after talking to a volunteer at the emergency response center nearest this volcano I finally had to give up this dream.  Although Volcano Agua is inactive it is one of the more dangerous volcanoes because of its higher elevation, steep paths and crime.  So instead I gathered some of my cohorts and found a small travel agency that would take us to Volcano Pacaya which lies is behind Agua.  Pacaya is an active volcano and erupted last year killing several people.  However, because of this recent eruption we were not able to see any lava. 
As we waited for the bus to pick us up to take us to the volcano I was starting to get a little nervous that maybe this travel agency wasn’t legit and just swindled 15 gringos out of Q 50 each.  However, in typical Guatemalan fashion, the bus showed up a half hour late.  The travel agency actually ended up being really good and doing an excellent job with the excursion.  When we arrived at the foot of the volcano we couldn’t really see anything except a lot of trees.  Vendors sold us walking sticks and marshmallows to roast at the top of the volcano.  (I highly recommend buying a walking stick, it is Q 5 that you will not regret spending.)  As we hiked up the steep trail we were followed by men and boys on horses offering us a “natural taxi” (a.k.a.  horse) to carry us to the top.  We broke through the trees into the top section of the volcano that was black and barren.  It was also freezing cold because we were in the clouds.  This created an interesting phenomenon since the ground was warm because of the lava underneath it.  From the top we could see what seemed like all of Guatemala, although I believe it was just Guatemala City and the surrounding area.  We also found little sunken coves where warm steam billowed out and made for a cozy sauna on the chilly mountain top.  To be honest, stepping into a sunken pit with steam pouring out of it on the top of a volcano is a little bit frightening and really goes against everything your natural instincts are telling you to do.
I MADE IT!
Earth's natural sauna

This is what the top of an active volcano looks like

It was a loooong way down!

When we got home, some of Marta’s grandkids were here and we were quite entertained by them.  We painted the little girls fingernails and afterwards they thought it was fun to imitate us (although I am pretty sure they were mocking me).  It is hard enough for me to understand an adult clearly enunciating their Spanish words let alone a shy child rapidly mumbling things to me.  However, when playing with little children words are not as necessary as they are in normal conversation and it was fun just to be silly with them.  

On a little bit of a side note, I learned a few words in Kakchiquel which is an indigenous Mayan language.  Kakchiquel is the native language of one of the bell boys at the hotel where I am doing my practicum and he taught me how to say a few basic things:
                Sa’Kar = Good morning
                Ta na quent = Goodbye
                Ash ranon a wanima = How are you?
                U’ts = Good
                Nu B’I = My name is
                Ka tok = enter or welcome
Since Gustavo (the bell boy) does not speak English he was teaching me Kakchiquel in Spanish.  Having a new language translated into a language that I am still learning is an incredible concept to me and I am honestly amazed that I was able to do that.  I guess that means that my Spanish must be improving.  A lot of Guatemalans view the native Mayan languages as inferior and I could tell that Gustavo was really excited that I wanted to learn his language.  This week has been one of much adventure and learning and I am looking forward to next week when my Mom and Jenna, my roommate, will get to experience a little bit of this with me!

No comments:

Post a Comment